A development agreement is a legally binding contract between the Municipality and a property owner. This agreement identifies property-specific conditions, design requirements, and land use regulations. A development agreement only applies in certain situations and typically deals with architectural design, permitted uses, landscaping, and site design.
The Municipal Planning Strategy and Land Use By-law set out certain types of land uses which must be considered during the development agreement process. Certain uses may have the potential to create land use conflicts; the development agreement process ensures that the interests and policies of the Town Council are addressed when considering new proposals. You are encouraged to consult with the Town's Planner, who can tell you if you are eligible to apply for a development agreement.
- pdf Development Agreement Process Standard (44 KB)
- pdf Development Agreement Process Expanded (45 KB)
Zoning is an important part of the Town's planning process. A property's zoning dictates what types of uses are permitted and also regulates how a property may be developed. A property may be zoned commercial, industrial, residential, etc., which helps determine the functions of certain areas in Town.
A property owner may have the opportunity to rezone a property when he/she wishes to develop the property in a manner which is contrary to the existing zoning regulations. The rezoning process gives the Municipality the opportunity to review development proposals that are not permitted as of right under the Land Use By-law.
Development Agreement and Rezoning Application Process
The application process for a development agreement and re-zoning are similar. For either process, the applicant must submit a letter of application addressed to the following:
Jason Fox, Director
Planning of the Planning and Development Services
Town of Truro
695 Prince St,
Truro, NS, B2N 1G5
The letter of application should provide the following information:
- The name of the property owner(s)
- Mailing address and telephone number of the applicant
- Location of the property
- Brief description of the purpose of the application outlining any related development proposal.
Please note that in addition to the above, development agreement applications must also include the following:
- A site plan, drawn to scale, showing the proposed development, indicating the size and dimensions of any new buildings, landscaping, parking areas and the size of parking stalls, etc.
- A copy of the deed description of the subject property(s).
- Renderings, building plans or architectural elevation drawings of any proposed structure.