Planning and Development Services are responsible for construction approvals relative to new construction, renovation, alteration, repair, plumbing and electrical to ensure all projects meet the requirements of the National Building Code of Canada, Nova Scotia Building Code and the Town of Truro Building By-law.
The Town of Truro enforces the National Building Code of Canada and its accompanying documents. There are also additional requirements contained in the Nova Scotia Building Code Regulations pertaining to Letters of Undertaking, Sprinkler Requirements and aspects of Barrier-Free Design.
A Building Permit is Required for:
- New building construction
- Structural change
- Building Demolition
- Building Relocation
- Change of occupancy or use
- Swimming Pools (deeper than 24 inches/60cm)
- Building repairs or renovations
- Interior alterations
- Accessory buildings that are greater than 20m2 (215ft2) in floor area
- Decks and stairs
- Roof enclosure over an existing or new deck
- Re-roofing where the roof pitch is being changed
A Building Permit is not Required for:
- Fences less than 2m (6.6ft) in height
- Cosmetic repairs such as paint or minor repairs to exterior finishes
- Replacing doors and windows in existing openings; unless the structure is altered
- Replacing roofing, unless the structure is altered
- Replacing siding
All decks and basement rooms that are not included in the approved building permits will require a separate permit.
One complete set of construction drawings is required. The drawings must be drawn to scale and must include the following:
- Site Plan - Showing lot and building dimensions and distances to property lines.
- Building Elevations - Showing exterior finishes (all views) finished grade level, windows, doors, chimneys, stairs etc.
- Floor Plans - Showing all room dimensions, wall types, window and door schedules and room finish schedules.
- Sections - Showing building and wall sections (all construction materials), grade level, floor heights, and stair sections.
- Structural Drawings - Showing foundation plan (type, size & dimensions), floor plans, and columns, bearing walls, stairs, ramps, roof plan and structural details.
When an application is received for new construction requiring connection to the Town's sanitary sewer system, the following shall apply:
A footings-only permit will be issued upon completion of the application process.
Construction can only proceed beyond the footing stage of construction when:
- The sanitary sewer laterals have been installed to the property line by the Town of Truro, or in the case of existing sanitary sewer laterals the location and depth has been verified
- A location certificate has been provided
The Town of Truro Engineering and Public Works Department must be contacted regarding new connection, time frame and fees.
Inspections are required at the following stages of construction:
- Prior to covering any framing and/or plumbing
- Prior to any use or occupancy
|Residential New Construction||$0.06 per square foot|
|Non-Residential New Construction||$0.10 per square foot|
|Residential Renovation (Less than 1000 sq ft)||$25|
|Residential Renovation (Over 1000 sq ft)||$50|
|Residential Renovation (Over 5000 sq ft)||$250|
|Non-Residential Renovation (Less than 1000 sq ft)||$50|
|Non-Residential Renovation (Over 1000 sq ft)||$100|
|Non-Residential Renovation (Over 5000 sq ft)||$250|
|Sign Requiring Building Permit||$25|
|Occupancy Deposit (Refundable)||$100|