The Town of Truro, the Municipality of the County of Colchester, and the Town of Stewiacke collectively oversee a Regional Emergency Management Organization (REMO) and Emergency Management Plan for the Truro-Colchester region.
REMO is made up of the Regional Emergency Management Advisory Committee, the Regional Protective Services Coordinator, and the Regional Emergency Planning Committee. The Advisory Committee is comprised of the Mayor of each Municipality and one other elected official. The Planning Committee is comprised of representatives from community services, law enforcement, fire, health services, engineering, transportation and communications.
The goal of the Regional Emergency Management Organization for the Truro-Colchester region is to establish arrangements and procedures necessary for the earliest possible coordinated response so that the following can be assured:
- Minimize the effects of an emergency or disaster in the Truro-Colchester Region and experienced by its citizens,
- The safety and preservation of health, private property and the environment and,
- The restoration of essential services.
Emergency Management Plan
The Regional Emergency Management Plan is an "all hazards response plan" or a formalized structure to respond to any emergency situation that may occur within the Town of Truro, Colchester County, or the Town of Stewiacke. Terminology and procedures are based on the Incident Command System (ICS).
The plan includes:
- The requirements for the plan activation and implementation.
- Logistic details of the Emergency Coordination Centre (and alternate) keeping forms, maps, extra phone lines, mutual aid agreements, resource lists, etc.
- Written guidelines covering the roles, responsibilities and duties of elected officials, staff, and members of the Regional Emergency Management Planning Committee
- Guidelines for elected officials, under the authority of the Provincial Emergency Management Act to declare a "local state of emergency"
Download the Colchester Emergency Management Plan
If you have any questions concerning the Colchester Regional Emergency Management Plan, please feel free to call the EMO Coordinator using the information below:
37 Pictou Road
Bible Hill, Nova Scotia
Canada B2N 2R9
(Please call in advance to ensure the EMO Coordinator is in the office.)