Town of Truro closes all municipally owned park, including Victoria Park.
Premier MacNeil, as of 12:00pm, March 22, 2020 declared a State of Emergency for the Province of Nova Scotia. With this declaration the Province has additional authorities to restrict travel and the actions of its citizens, that in its view, better provide for their safety and security.
The Province has directed that both provincial and municipal parks be closed under the authority of the Emergency Management Act as the result of the State of Emergency. The Town of Truro is obligated to follow this direction and therefore must close all playgrounds and parks within the Town f Truro, including Victoria Park. To enforce this closure, all municipal parking lots are closed to vehicles. Barriers will be placed as soon as possible. Vehicles ignoring these barriers can be fined in accordance with provincial direction.
The Town had hoped to keep town owned parks opened to help the public deal with the feelings of social isolation during this unprecedented situation. Unfortunately, as we continue to deal with this crisis, it has been clear that many are not heeding the requirement to maintain social distances and therefore further steps must be taken. The Town strongly encourages outdoor activity within personal neighbourhoods, while maintaining a recommended social distance of 2 metres, or 6 feet.
The Town would like to thank everyone for their understanding and cooperation while we all deal with this situation. We will continue to update you as the situation evolves.
Victoria Park is one of Truro's greatest assets - a natural woodland park of roughly 3,000 acres in the centre of our Town with an extensive trail system for all ages. Click the icon below to explore Victoria Park and connect to our apps, maps, stories and open data.
PDF Mapping Products
Railyard Mountain Bike Park - In Victoria Park
The Railyard Mountain Bike Park is locatied in Truro's Victoria Park and contains over 40kms of bike trails. Cyclists are urged to use caution when using park trails and to yield to pedestrians as required. Cyclists are also reminded to stay on defined hard-surface trails to prevent damage to environmentally sensitive areas of the park. Located minutes from downtown Truro, here you will some of the best mountain biking trails in Nova Scotia. The park is a free public facility and provides mountian biking opportunities for all skills levels from beginners through to "extreme" riders.
Through the Fall and Spring seasons, Colchester Short Track takes place on select Tuesday nights at the top entrance of Victoria Park, off Young Street.
Thing to do in the Winter
Other features in Victoria Park
- Kinsmen Playground
- Canteen: Located in the playground and washroom facility in the Lower Park, the canteen is open from 11 am to 5 pm daily during the summer months, weather permitting.
- Water Spray Park: Located in the playground, the spray park was a joint project between the Truro Kinsmen Club and the Truro Parks, Recreation and Culture Department
- Victoria Park Pool: Located adjacent to the playground, the pool includes a toddler's pool, water spray features, double water slide, lane swimming and diving board.
- Tennis Courts: Managed by Truro Tennis Club.
- Baseball field: Located at the entrance to Victoria Park and used primarily for minor baseball (29 Park Road).
- Canteen: Located in the main playground and washroom area in the lower park, the canteen is open from 11:00 am - 5:00 pm daily during the summer months (weather permitting).
- Parking: Available in the main parking lot located on Park Road, near the Victoria Park Pool on Adam Street and at the Wood Street entrance (limited).
- Accessibility: Anyone with special physical needs who may require the use of a hippocampe to access the park, is asked to contact the Truro Parks, Recreation and Culture Department office at 902-893-6078 to check availability.
- View pdf Victoria Park Master Plan (48.45 MB) .
Hosted in Victoria Park by Truro Parks, Recreation & Culture Department:
- Easter Egg Hunt
- Victoria Park Challenge
- Parks Day Celebration
- Sunday in the Park Summer Concert Series
- Mid-Summer Outdoor Movie Nights
Contact Information for Bookings
The bandshell, picnic pavilion, holy well gazebo and other park facilities can be reserved free of charge for special events such as weddings, concerts and family gatherings.
Truro Parks, Recreation and Culture Department
40 Douglas Street
Truro, Nova Scotia
Canada B2N 2E7
Tel: (902) 893-6078
Fax: (902) 893-6099